Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

INEC Leads Peace Accord Signing, Declares Readiness for Ekiti 2026 Governorship Election

INEC Leads Peace Accord Signing, Declares Readiness for Ekiti 2026 Governorship Election












The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has reaffirmed its commitment to conducting a peaceful, credible, free, and fair governorship election in Ekiti State as political parties and candidates signed the Peace Accord ahead of the June 20, 2026 off-cycle governorship poll.

The Peace Accord signing ceremony, held during Day Two of the readiness assessment visit to Ekiti State, brought together political parties, governorship candidates, security agencies, observer groups, traditional rulers, and other stakeholders under the platform of the National Peace Committee (NPC).


Speaking at the event, the Chairman Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan SAN, said the Peace Accord remains a critical democratic mechanism for promoting non-violence and electoral stability.


He noted that following the successful management of pre-election tensions during the November 2025 Anambra State governorship election, the Commission was committed to replicating the same peaceful atmosphere in Ekiti State.


“The Peace Accord to be signed today is not a mere bureaucratic formality. It is a moral treaty signed before the citizens of this state and the global community,” he stated.

Prof. Amupitan disclosed that INEC had already completed seven out of the nine scheduled electoral activities ahead of the election, leaving only the conclusion of campaigns on June 18 and the governorship election itself on June 20, 2026.


According to him, the Commission had also presented the Certified True Copy of the Harmonized Voters Register to political parties in line with Section 9 of the Electoral Act.

He revealed that 1,059,360 registered voters are expected to participate in the Ekiti governorship election.


The INEC Chairman further highlighted the Commission’s operational preparedness, explaining that officials had conducted extensive engagements with transport providers, electoral personnel, and security agencies to ensure seamless deployment of election materials and personnel across polling units, wards, local government collation centres, and the state collation centre.


“INEC does not look for a particular outcome; we are interested only in a lawful process,” he affirmed.

He added that 98 observer groups — comprising 96 domestic and two international organizations — had been accredited to monitor the election process to guarantee transparency and credibility.


Prof. Amupitan warned against vote-buying, voter intimidation, and electoral violence, stressing that any attempt to undermine the democratic process would be firmly resisted.


“It is not the signature written today that preserves democracy, but the character of the leaders who hold the pen,” he said, urging political parties and candidates to ensure that the spirit of the Peace Accord is reflected throughout their campaign structures.


Representing the Chairman of the National Peace Committee and former Head of State, General Abdulsalam Abubakar, retired General Martin Luther Agwai, CFR, described the event as a collective commitment to peaceful and credible elections.


“Today’s event is not merely ceremonial. It is a collective commitment of peaceful, credible, free, and fair elections,” he declared.

He urged political actors to reject violence, hate speech, and all forms of electoral misconduct, emphasizing that no political ambition should come at the expense of human lives or the peace of the state.


“The election will come and go, but the peace and unity of Ekiti State must remain,” Agwai added.

In his welcome remarks, Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah, CON, Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto and Convener of the National Peace Committee, commended stakeholders for sustaining dialogue and democratic responsibility in Nigeria’s electoral process.


On security arrangements, the Inspector General of Police, represented by IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, PSC, assured residents that adequate security measures had been put in place across the state.


According to him, security agencies under the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security had conducted comprehensive deployment plans covering all local government areas and over 2,400 polling units in Ekiti State.


“Security personnel and operational assets will be strategically deployed to guarantee the safety of voters, electoral officers, observers, and all citizens participating in the democratic process,” he said.

He also assured that officers deployed for election duty would remain professional, impartial, and committed to protecting democratic values.


Following the speeches, governorship candidates and political party chairmen proceeded to sign the Peace Accord, pledging their commitment to peaceful campaigns and non-violent participation before, during, and after the election.

Post a Comment

0 Comments